The Vancouver Thunderbirds were well represented, club wide this past weekend at the Jesse Bent Invitational (June 9-10th) at Percy Perry Stadium, in Coquitlam.
Thunderbirds collected an impressive 72 medals over the course of the weekend, in events ranging from JD-Masters age categories. Of the 72 podium finishes, Thunderbirds earned 21 gold, 25 silver, and 26 bronze.
The highlight performance of the weekend came from Midget athlete, Terence Cheung in the 300m hurdles. Cheung raced to a first place finish (41.24), 3.5 seconds ahead of the next competitor. The dominant victory and meet record proved to be extra sweet for Cheung, however, as the prior record belonged to his head coach, Andrew Cooke, from 1998!
Another notable performance came from High School Endurance runner, Manon Plouvier, who shaved 5 seconds off her previous personal best in the JR girls 1500m, to place second in 4:49.90.
Top Thunderbird Performers Included:
- Clarance Cheung in the 13 year old boys Triple Jump (1st: 10.66m);
- Kenneth Shultz, Open Mens 400m hurdles (54.18), and the 110m hurdles (14.48);
- New Thunderbird JD East athlete, Akasha Chamblerand, 1st in the 11 year old girls 200m (29.21);
- Maclean Carlson, 1st in 11 year old boys High Jump (1.41m);
- Griffin Cole, 1st in 11 year old boys javelin (28.34m);
- Roman Yeterian, 1st in 11 year old boy's shot put (9.60m);
- Allan Crawford, 1st in 9 year old boy's high jump (1.05m);
- Honor Walmsly, 1st in the Open Women's 800 and 1500m (2:15 and 4:30 respectively);
- Gabriella Barton, 1st in girls 600m (1:50.36);
- Jordan Reid, 1st in 13 year old girl's Triple Jump (13.00m);
- Claire Logan, 1st in 13 year old girls high jump (1.45m);
- Michael Przystupa, 1st in Open Men's Long Jump (6.22m);
- Emily Franke, 1st in 13 year old girls hammer throw (18.11m);
- Emily Huser, 1st in Open Women's Triple Jump (10.53m);
- Noelle Yau, 1st in Midget Girls shot put (11.36m) and javelin (33.0m);
- Caroline Ho, 1st in Midget girls Pole Vault (2.50m);
- Luc Ilicic, 1st in JR boys discus (43.74m);
- Mason VanRaamsdonk, 1st in JR boys javelin (30.20m)
A full list of Thunderbird results can be found below. Congratulations to all who competed and thank you to the volunteers, parents, meet directors, and BC Athletic's staff for hosting such a great event!