Below are a list of 2019 Road and Cross Country Races, provided by BC Athletics (Clifton Cunningham). Look forward to seeing lots of Thunderbird singlets on the start lines in 2019!
BC Athletics – Road & Cross Provincial Championships
- 8K Championship: Steveston Icebreaker 8K, January 20, 2019
- 5K Championship: BMO St Patrick's Day 5K, March 16, 2019
- 10K Championship: TC10K, April 28, 2019
- Marathon Championship: BMO Vancouver Marathon, May 5, 2019
- Half Marathon Championship: GoodLife Fitness Victoria Half Marathon, October 13, 2019
- BC Cross Country Championship: Beaver Lake, Victoria. Hosted by Prairie Inn Harriers. October 27, 2019
- 10k - Ottawa, May 25, 2019 - Part of the Tamarack Ottawa Marathon Race Weekend
- 10,000m – Vancouver, June 13 – Part of the Pacific Distance Carnival (1,500m, 5,000m, 10,000m) watch BC Athletics for details.
- Half Marathon - Winnipeg, June 16, 2019 - Part of the Manitoba Marathon Race Weekend
- Marathon - Toronto, October 20, 2019 - Part of the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
- Cross Country - Abbotsford, November 30, 2019
BC Super Series
The BC Super Series is a collaboration between BC Athletics and 12 of BC's best road races, which bring the best athletes in BC together in competition, and encourage participation from all abilities. BCA members mustrun four or more races to qualify for prizes.
1. January 13 – Harriers Pioneer 8k
- 40th Annual Running of the Pioneer 8k, new race course is only 3km from the Schwartz Bay ferry and the start time is 11:30am. Always a very competitive field to kick off the season. Elite standards are: Men Open sub 25:00 / Masters (40+) 27:00, Women Open Sub 28:00 / Masters 30:00. If you meet standards, email firstname.lastname@example.org summary of recent 2018 5k, 10k or 8k performances to apply.
2. January 20 – Kajaks Steveston Icebreaker 8k
- The Provincial 8k Championship and also the 1st race in the Lower Mainland Series, a flat course starting in Steveston and following the Fraser River. New this year a 1km Kids Run to bring the family out. Elite athlete standards are Men sub 25:00 and Women sub 28:00, check the event website for details and how to apply.
3. February 10 – ‘First Half’ Half Marathon
- The event is sold out, but elite athletes can apply for consideration until January 15. Standards are Men sub 1:10 half and Women sub 1:20 Half. Check out the website for more details and how to apply.
4. March 16 – St Patrick’s Day 5k
- Always a quick run and a great party! For elite consideration contact by February 23, applications will be evaluated on a case by case basis. See website for more details.
5. April 14 - Vancouver Sun Run
- 35 years running for the Vancouver Sun Run, join Canada’s largest start line. Elite applications will open mid-January, see website for entry standards.
6. April 28 – TC 10k
- 30th Annual TC10k powered by RunSport and the Provincial 10k Championship. See website for more information on the elite athlete program.
7. May 5 – BMO Vancouver Marathon
- The Provincial Marathon Championships, elite application deadline February 28th. See website for details.
8. June 14 – Longest Day 5k
- Enjoy a fun Friday evening run and stay for the PARTY! Check the website for more details.
9. June 23 – Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon
- 21st annual Scotia Half, running from UBC to Stanley park. The net downhill course and Scotiabank Charity Challenge are standout features of the event. Elite entry and standards can be found on the event site here.
10. July 20 – VFAC Summerfast 10k
- The flat and fast Stanley Park course is a great highlight of the summer. Elite athlete information can be found on their site here.
11. September 14 – Under Armour Eastside 10k
- A run in, for and with the Eastside of Vancouver. Even with the notorious hill marking half way, the course is still fairly fast and attracts a stacked field. To be part of it, apply online here.
12. October 13 – Goodlife Fitness Victoria Half Marathon
- Provincial Half Marathon Championship and final race of the BC Super Series. Elite standards and application will open in the New Year, for 2018 details, see their website here (scroll down).
Other regional race series to check out –
- Lower Mainland Road Race Series (LMRRS) – https://www.lmrrs.com/
- Vancouver Island Race Series - http://www.islandseries.org/
- Interior Running Association (Road & Cross) - http://interiorrunningassociation.com/
- Lower Mainland Cross Country Series – http://www.bcathletics.org/Content/lower-mainland-x-country-jd/40/?popup_lg=1
BC Athletics Annual Awards Banquet – Saturday, February 2
The BC Athletics Annual Awards Banquet to celebrate the 2018 Athletics season will be held at theExecutive Airport Plaza Hotel, Richmond (7311 Westminster Hwy).
- The BC Athletics Annual Awards Banquet will celebrate the accomplishments of the 2018 season with individuals being recognized for athletic performances, coaching, officiating, and administration. Inductees to the BC Athletics Hall of Fame will also be recognized during the evening.
- Award recipients will be notified directly, with lists being publicized throughout January.
- Information regarding the Awards Banquet can be found on the event page here.
- Tickets to the Awards Banquet can be purchased here.
2019 BC Athletics High Performance Targeted Athlete Development Camp
BC Athletics in partnership with the Canadian Sports Institute is hosting a High Performance Athlete Development Camp that will provide BC Athletics Athletes & Coaches with a day of interactive workshops and seminars presented by world-leading experts in high performance sport!
BCA Sanction and Certification
For events to count towards your national rankings and results, events must be both sanctioned and certified. Encourage your local event to become both certified and sanctioned. Race Directors can contact Clif for more information