MAKING CROSS COUNTRY FUN
INTRODUCING THE VANCOUVER THUNDERBIRDS OUTREACH PROGRAM
We provide programs:
1. At your elementary school
2. At a time that is most convenient to you (before school, lunch hour, during PE class, or after school)
3. With little work to teachers, except to fulfill supervisory roles
4. At no cost to the school
What we aim to achieve:
1. An emphasis on personal bests instead of performances relative to others
2. Encouragement of an active lifestyle
3. An understanding of the fundamentals of running as the base movement for all other sports
How we implement the program:
1. You contact and coordinate a program with Derrick Johnston (our Senior Program Director) to facilitate days, times and a program duration that works best for your school. We will provide 2 practice sessions at your school, as well as a manual that coaches can use after we are gone.
2. We provide coaches in approximately a 15:1 athlete – coach ratio, many of who are top ranked athletes themselves, and who understand cross country coaching techniques.
3. The school provides supervision during program implementation times.
4. The club provides an informational flyer to each student that outlines the programs that are offered by the Vancouver Thunderbirds Track and Field Club.
Contact Derrick Johnston at:
This program is supported by funding from